What can you do for free as a family?! Rockford is such a large city that it has many activities within the community that are always free. We are going to run down some for you here.
1. The Rockford Park District - We have one of the largest park districts I have ever seen. Check out this page here for the Sinnissippi Music Shell. Download the 2009 schedule for Music in the Park, Imagination Station or Charlotte's Web Summer Series. These are great family activities for the summer.
- The Burpee Museum is also part of RPD and offers Wednesdays as free admission day: go see Jane the Dinosaur!
- The Discovery Center, which is ranked 4th in children's museums in the nation, offers Thursday afternoons free.
- Head on over to the park districts website and take a look around; you never know what you will find!
2. Rockford Public Library - Libraries are always a great free resource as long as you remember to return your books and DVDs on time! Even though their budgets are being slashed to zero, they are still making great efforts to provide outstanding service all for free.
- This Saturday, June 6th is their Summer Reading Program Kickoff for kids of all ages: newborns on up! My son started his first reading program when he was two weeks old. It is never too early to enjoy a good book.
- The Summer Reading Program offers great prizes for every five books you read, and the final prize is a free ticket to Magic Waters!
- The Library also offers a full calendar of adult, teen and children's programs at various locations in the community! We love preschool hour - singing, dancing, crafting and reading! Also, be sure to look for Anouk and I in the fall as we will be teaching our Couponing Class at the new East State Street Location!
3. Check out your local farmer's market - Okay so this may not be totally free, but it is always free to look and see what is being brought to the market! We need our fruits and veggies right?! It is a fun way to see the local farmer's and support our community. Plus it everything is FRESH off the farm!
Keep your eye out here for more free activities!