*Saving you some money in the Rock River Valley*


Welcome to our blog! While a lot of our deals may be specific to the Rockford area, you'll find many deals that are also good nationwide! We hope that our blog will be fun, informative, and that it will help you SAVE SOME MONEY!

Read here about our "Coupon Ethics"

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday Tips - Uses for Vinegar

White distilled vinegar - I never remember using it at our house growing up, at least not in the kitchen. But I have found many uses for it around my house and wanted to share some of those tips with you.

First, I'd like to direct you to the website vinegartips.com - 1001 Uses for White Distilled Vinegar. There are many I've never tried but might have to try in the days to come. Vinegar is cheap & non toxic which makes it great to use around the house.

Here are some of the ways I use white vinegar:

- In the kitchen: to make "buttermilk" for a recipe when I don't have any. I will add a bit of vinegar to milk and use it as buttermilk in a recipe. Helps to make great waffles!

- In the laundry room: I don't use fabric softener in the washer. Instead, I use vinegar. Apparently, it help rinse off the soap residue on fabric (which is what causes fabric to not be soft). I've never had it damage clothes or make them smell funny for that matter!

- Around the house: whenever I see that hard white calcium or lime deposit around the sink, I get a rag and soak it in vinegar. Then I lay it on the affected area for 15-20 minutes and when I remove it and scrub at the deposit, it comes right off! It's also good for cleaning the coffee maker, or the shower head when it's full of calium deposits.

Well, those are a few of my tips. Do you our readers have any "vinegar" tips? We'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I'm about to try vinegar with the laundry. Thanks for the tip!

Search & Win