*Saving you some money in the Rock River Valley*


Welcome to our blog! While a lot of our deals may be specific to the Rockford area, you'll find many deals that are also good nationwide! We hope that our blog will be fun, informative, and that it will help you SAVE SOME MONEY!

Read here about our "Coupon Ethics"

Saturday, May 30, 2009

An almost free ice-pack

So something happened yesterday that now my neck/shoulder muscles are having spasms - although it feels more like my neck is broken, but I doubt it is! Anyway, after seeing the Chiropractor today and getting instructions about icing my neck & shoulders, I asked him where to get a good ice pack (my ice cubes in a bag don't work well, and I don't want to thaw my bag of frozen peas).

So here's what he said - and I tried it and it works!

Take a couple of gallon-size ziploc bags. In one of them, put one part rubbing alcohol, two parts water (I did 1 cup/2 cups). Seal that bag, then put it inside the other back (extra leakage protection!).

Apparently the more alcohol concentration there is, the softer the gel. If you want it a little more "solid" ice pack, add more water. Be sure to put "DO NOT EAT" on the bag (although why anyone who can read would eat a white gellish substance is beyond me!)

Maybe this is "old news" to some of you, but it was new to me! I sit here typing this post with a very flexible/gel-like ice pack on my neck and shoulder! Woohoo!

Have you made your own ice-pack before? I've heard of using Palmolive and freezing that in a bag - what about you? Post your "recipes" here.

1 comment:

Robin Hayes said...

Hi, Anouk. I hope that you are not having muscle spasms anymore!

Search & Win