*Saving you some money in the Rock River Valley*


Welcome to our blog! While a lot of our deals may be specific to the Rockford area, you'll find many deals that are also good nationwide! We hope that our blog will be fun, informative, and that it will help you SAVE SOME MONEY!

Read here about our "Coupon Ethics"

Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday Munchies - Easy-Peasy Biscotti

So for whatever reason, I've been craving biscotti for a while. Last week, I finally made some! It was easier than I thought (especially when you have a KitchenAid) and it is WAY cheaper than buying it at the store. Now that I've "broken the ice" of making biscotti, I think I'm going to experiment with different flavors.

Here's the link to the recipe I used . . . but please note that it doesn't take 40 minutes to make! I think they forgot to include the time you have to put the slices back in the oven. I actually ended up putting them in for 6 minutes on each side and then I turned the oven off and left them in overnight because I didn't think they were dry/crunchy enough.

Here are the base ingredients, and the changes I made to the recipe (in red)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon anise extract, or 3 drops anise oil (I used vanilla, or cinnamon)
  • (I also ended up throwing in white chocolate chips, almonds, and dried cranberries)
Next time I'm going to use almond extract and put a bunch more almonds and cranberries. Or I might tweak it and use 2 eggs and some applesauce . . . or make it with cocoa and make them chocolatey. Mmmm, so yummy and so fun!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

So if I want to make these chocolatey how would you go about adding that in?! I am a follow the recipe exactly type person . . . I am not talented in modify it.

Anouk said...

I'm not sure Kristie . . . I'll have to get back with you after I try it out for myself!

Search & Win