*Saving you some money in the Rock River Valley*


Welcome to our blog! While a lot of our deals may be specific to the Rockford area, you'll find many deals that are also good nationwide! We hope that our blog will be fun, informative, and that it will help you SAVE SOME MONEY!

Read here about our "Coupon Ethics"

Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday Munchies - Disaster? Discovery? Delight!

So today I'd like to ask you our readers if you've ever had a kitchen disaster become a new discovery and that is now a favorite! Maybe you've started a recipe only to discover that you were missing an ingredient . . . so you replace it with another ingredient and presto! A new favorite recipe emerged!

I've had that happen only in my crafting before. I would start out with an idea for a greeting card in mind only to have it fail . . . and in trying to "fix" it, I discover a new technique or new favorite way to do something!

This weekend, it happened in the kitchen for me! I was attempting to make this recipe of Christmas Mint Cookies but only had enough chocolate to make a dozen of them. So I went back to the cupboard and discovered about 4 ounces of white chocolate chips. Hmm, that should work to make a few more, right?

I don't know what I did wrong, but that white chocolate would not melt smoothly! I had used it in other recipes (fudge I think) and it melted just fine! So now I had a chunky, half-soft lump of peppermint white chocolate. Hmm, add some milk maybe? Epic fail. Now I just had some cloudy milk with chunks of white chocolate. Well, if it wouldn't work for covering cookies, maybe I could make chocolate milk out of it - add more milk. Well, at least now it was smooth, but it was way too thick for chocolate milk.

Into the fridge it went . . . the next day I make myself a cup of coffee and use some of my new creation of white chocolate peppermint creamer. OH YUM! Better than Starbucks! New favorite creamer, and I know how to make it again (kinda)! I know I had about 4 ounces of chocolate, a few drops of peppermint extract, and enough milk to make about a cup of the creamer.

What about you? Do you have a disaster/discovery/delight story?

No comments:

Search & Win